Sunday, September 26, 2010

Confessions of a Miss America News Watcher...


So, the other day I was bored out of my mind. And after my roommate and I had finished drawing mustaches on our faces with eyeliner I decided it was time to cave and finally turned on the T.V. The channel was on a news network. Normally I don't watch the news because it is so morbidly depressing, but that night they had a pastor form Florida on and he was saying how on September 11th people should burn the Koran.


Instantly I got the tingles. Something about this was just not quite right. And finally after a few minutes of thinking about it I was able to narrow it down. How is this being a peacemaker?


Today in America we're all about being proud. Standing up for your rights. And I'm not saying anything bad about it. I think in certain situations its admirable. I've always believed if you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything. But there is a difference between standing for something and attacking.


I think for a lot of people this gets confused. Standing takes courage. Not attacking takes a willful desire to keep the peace. Christ says turn the other cheek. Don't fight back. When the Pharisees mocked Him, He kept silent. However, He also kept preaching.

And here's another thing I learned watching the news. The world is a pretty scary place and at times like this it is so comforting to know Peace. The one who calmed the storm is the same one handling every situation. I think what that Pastor in Florida forgot was that God's hand was all over September 11th. He was Sovereign through it. And although I'm pretty sure He wasn't too fond of what went down, God is good. And He will make good, even out of evil.


The world lacks peace because they don't recognize the one who gives it. Isaiah 26:3 "You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You."

John 16:33, "I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble, but take heart! I have overcome the world."


Colossians 3:15, "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful." Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts. Christ is peace. Let Christ rule in your hearts.


All of these verses demand one conclusion. If you want peace you have to know Peace. The Prince of Peace. You can't get it any other way. And you'll never survive this world without it. Because when you take away God, you have chaos. You have murder, rape, deceit, idolatry, cheating, etc. Not a very good thing to put your trust in if you ask me.


I don't know if we're all going to die by global warming. I don't know if there is going to be a massive earthquake and LA is going to fall into the ocean. I don't know if the world will truly end in 2012. But I'm not too worried. I've survived the swine flue, Y2K, Bird flue, Valley Fever Epidemic, and Mad Cow disease. And most importantly, I know Peace.


The world is lost and looking for answers. So many things happen and people find themselves panicking, saying "What will we do? How will we stop this? I'm so tired of fighting, all I want is world peace."


So here's my mission. I'm going to be Miss America and when they ask what I want most I'm going to say "World Peace." But unlike the other contestants I'm not going to stop there. No, what good is the solution if you don't have a method of getting it? So here it is America. Here is my solution for World Peace: Christ. Chaos and destruction cannot stand when up against our God!


Ephesians 2:14, "For He Himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier."


0 comments:

Post a Comment