Saturday, September 18, 2010

Confessions of an Adventurer...

"Don't be afraid of death. Be afraid of the unlived life. You don't have to live forever- you just have to live."


That's one of my favorite quotes of all times. Because it challenges me to make the most out of every day we are given. To never say no to a new experience or adventure. Indeed it's what inspired my "Before I Kick It" list. And here's a fact that most people don't know about me just from looking at me- I crave adventure. I don't know what it is, but I live for those adrenaline rushes. I love to see and explore new things (just sometimes I don't like the bugs and physical strain that comes with them ha ha). But today my friends, I am embarking on a new mission. One that I've never done before. One that is more crucial than I had previously realized. I'm going to figure out over the next couple of weeks what exactly my spiritual gift is. AND I'm going to find a life verse.


To my astonishment, spiritual gifts are actually talked about in the Bible far more than I imagined, such as 1 Corinthians 12-14, Romans 12, Ephesians 4, and 1 Peter 4. And because they are so prominent I think they're pretty important. Because what I've learned from reading those passages is they are crucial to how I serve. 1 Peter 4:10, "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." Now, it is very hard to be a good steward of something we know nothing about, and of something which we do not even know we possess. Dare I say, it makes no sense! It is insulting to the God that created you that you don't even take the time to fully realize who you were created to be. Not to mention, you miss out on some major blessings.


Knowing your spiritual gift will enable you to find your place of ministry. Knowing your spiritual gift will help to determine your priorities. "We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully." (Romans 12:6-8). That puts it pretty plainly. You are called to serve, so serve. You are called to show mercy, so show mercy. Before you worry about school, work, friends, relationships, etc, make sure your spiritual gift is active. You may need it in school, work, with friends, relationships, etc. Also, knowing you spiritual gift can also help you discover God's will for your life.


And here's another thing I realized, if you don't know your spiritual gift you may be trying to do someone else's job. Because the cool thing is this, God placed us all together for a reason. Everyone you know, is in your life for a purpose. Those other Christians are there because God knows they are the eyes, legs, feet to your hands. Nothing is coincidence. And you fill that part like no one can. You are never going to find two left big toes. So why do I then compare myself to others? Why do I go around saying, "Oh, I'm never going to be able to do what she does?" And then my brain goes "Of course not dummy. She's a toe, you're an ear. Duh" 1 Corinthians 12: 18-19, "But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be?" God is living and active even when we are too ignorant to see it!


But here's the cool thing. Once you realize what your spiritual gift is and how you fit in with other believers. Once you realize that you are unique, then you can focus on the life, the blood, what draws us all together to fit one whole, complete body. You can realize that we are all the same when it comes to God's grace. You are one complete body, fervently glorifying your Creator. 1 Corinthians 12:13, "For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body--whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free--and we were all given the one Spirit to drink."


Therefore, my friends, it is crucial that I find where I belong. So, I'm going to start looking, praying, taking online quizzes ha ha, doing whatever it takes until I find out just what my gift is. And you know what, I think it will be a pretty good adventure. Dare I say, better than the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland. The effects- much more lasting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment