Sunday, August 1, 2010

Confessions of a Panicked Pooch...

My dog Charlie is one of the best dogs you could ask for. He's easy going (almost a little too much), gentle, and loyal to the end. In fact, when you walk him you don't really need a leash because he will follow you and stay right by your side. But there is one fault in Charlie that can get rather annoying at times. He's afraid of everything! We think its because he didn't have that great of puppyhood before we got him. Needless to say all you have to do is snap your fingers or turn on the fan, and he's cowering in fear. And the vacuum is a whole other story.

But I learned a lesson from Charlie today. The minute the vacuum started he headed straight for my lap, heart racing a million miles per hour. But he knew, that I was a safe refuge. And all it took was one gentle rub of the ear with my pointer finger and he was at ease.

Psalm 46:1 tells us that "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." But so many of us only run to Him as a last resort. Jesus calmed the entire raging seas by spoken word! (Luke 8:22-25). No gentle rub of the ear necessary! Do you realize how powerful that is?! So why is it that we run to Him only when we are out of other options?

Christ is not a last resort and to treat Him as such is insulting. And to call on Him only when we need Him is insulting. Because then you are living in fear, not in faith. And He has proven His power innumerable times. Who are you to doubt the Majesty, Power, and Graciousness of the Almighty Living God?!

But we don't need to live in fear. Because Christ is our Everything! And we will NEVER lose Him! Isaiah 46:4 "Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you."

So, my fellow cowardly pooches, run to God. Cling to Him with everything you have. Take refuge in Him. Even in the little problems, even in the good times, He is our shelter. And He loves to protect us and comfort us. Because He is our gentle Father, and a father graciously does those things for His children. So praise God because He saves us! Give Him the glory due His name! And remember, the vacuums of life are nothing compared to how loving and powerful your God is!

"Oh praise the one who paid my debt, and raised this life up from the dead."

0 comments:

Post a Comment