Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Confessions of a Coffee Addict...

There is nothing I enjoy more than a tall vanilla latte with a pump of raspberry from Starbucks. Especially on days like this when I need it to bring this zombie back to life. This morning I left without shoes and didn’t realize it until I was halfway to class. Unfortunately, being a poor college student I don’t often have the finances to indulge in such a wonderful drink, so most of the time I settle for dining hall coffee. But I must say, whoever thought of putting coffee in a monster energy drink deserves the Nobel Prize.

But there’s one problem I have with coffee or any other energy drink. They never last long enough. It works for a few hours, but then the crash comes along. You know your fate; you know what’s going to happen. So what do you do? Hurry up and get through your work before it happens or go for a second cup. You know the crash is coming, but still you choose to indulge. You’ll know the effects will wear off and then you’ll crash, but that brief satisfaction makes it worth it.

This is the same with sin. It looks good, tastes good, feels good. It’s temporarily satisfying. That’s what makes it so hard to resist. The other day I was reading Psalm 73. In it the author, Asaph, is confessing that his feet slipped. He nearly stumbled and fell into temptation. Why? Because sin looked good. It seemed that God was almost blessing the wicked. They are always carefree. They steal and become wealthy. They have healthy families. They are successful. They sow evil, but still seem to reap good.

The author confesses that he envied them (vs 3). I know I’ve done the same. Sometimes you just can’t help thinking, what’s the point? I try to be righteous and they seem to have better lives. Their coffee’s really working for them.

But all of this changed for me when I read verses 16-17: “When I tried to understand all this, it was oppressive to me till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny.” There is something about this verse that is so powerful. It gives me goosebumps all the way down to my soul. And all of a sudden, I don’t envy them anymore. In fact, I grieve for them. Because I know what’s coming. The crash of all crashes. And my heart goes out to them because they are so blind. And I fall on my knees in gratitude that I don’t have to worry about that anymore. And it creates a desire to show them what I have. All of a sudden there coffee doesn’t look so appetizing anymore. I want them to taste what I’ve been given.

So, my fellow temptees, don’t be mislead by how awesome sin looks now. Because in the end, sleep is much better than coffee. Find rest in Christ. Find purpose and grace in Christ. And above all, show others that purpose and grace! The effects are much more lasting. Our cups are so filled they are overflowing (Psalm 23:5). The life and joy found in Christ is everlasting. A never ending Starbucks. Mmmm...

0 comments:

Post a Comment