Thursday, August 8, 2013

Confessions of a Rusty Pianist...

You know whats cool? God gives us talents. I know at this point you're probably like "Yeah. And?" But no, seriously, take a minute. Think about it for a second. Why does He do that? Again the immediate Sunday School answer comes to mind, "for His glory." But just think about what that entails. God gives you this gift, right? And as the old parable goes, "To one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey." (Matthew 24:15) I think, there in our trying to understand and interpret this verse we sometimes loose sight of its significance. So many times the lesson ends up being, "We're all different. Everyone has different talents. And we can all use them for God's glory." This is truth. But the biggest picture I'm seeing here is that they are meant for specifically that- God's glory. Thats the main focus of this passage. It's not just a lesson on diversity, it's about properly using what you're given! That's why the man going on a journey got so mad with the servant who buried his talent. I mean, technically the servant did do something with it, and that something wasn't even necessarily a bad thing. But it wasn't what the master had purposed it for. Maybe y'all had previously caught that. But I've been hearing and tuning this story out for years without that lightbulb clicking on.

It's something that has dawned on me lately. I've been a lousy manager. Growing up and in high school I was a pianist, saxophonist, flutist, baker, writer, theater geek, tennis player, guitarist, cheerleader (Gasp, I know. Those were dark days, okay? )   and on and on. And people would say, "You have a talent for this." (Well, they never said that about being a 230lb cheerleader, but you get my point.) But yet, coming out of high school I didn't keep up any of those temporary professions! Maybe I was gifted in these areas, but my passion and my heart for them just kind of fluttered away. They became old hobbies that I happened to be good at that I had once done, instead of things that still drove me. I've been reflecting on this thought for some time and have been asking myself why this is so. Here's what I've concluded: I wasn't using those gifts properly.

I had a lot of fun doing these various tasks, but they lacked one important thing- fulfillment. There was no purpose behind it other than simple enjoyment. But that just seems kind of shallow, don't you think? Eventually I didn't get as much enjoyment as I had once had. If this was a romantic relationship, this is the point where you could say the spark fizzled. And as I sit here and look at my dusty saxophone, I think its safe to say it died in some cases. Sorry for the neglect saxy.

This story is not a tragic ending however. I've re-discovered some of my loves again. The passion is back! I find fulfillment. I find joy. And the difference is so simple, yet so powerful- God. He makes all the difference. I get it now. I find the most joy when I'm at my piano working on worship songs (current addiction: "Never Alone" by Matt Redman) I'm understanding why I like to write so much- I can blog about what God is teaching me! I love baking cookies and putting smiles on people's faces, just to let them know they're loved. It sounds so entirely simple, but at the same time, profound. God gives us talents because He has specific purposes planned for them. Who knows! Maybe my shower karaoke can even be of some use! And news flash, it's not just for your entertainment and pleasure. It's ministry! Everyone of these talents has furthered my ministry to OTHERS! I always wondered why I enjoyed these areas when I was never going to do anything professionally in them. It's been awesome beyond words to see what He's done. God's super creative! He's done things with them I never would have guessed! But then again, I guess thats part of what makes God God. And it convicts me to put time with my other talents up for grabs and see what He does.  

I feel like the girl who's been eating splenda packets her whole life when she could have had double fudge brownie ice cream. You just never know how good and satisfying something is until you have it as its designed to be. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment