Monday, May 17, 2010

Confessions of a Poopy Journal...

So yesterday I was sitting at the beach and journaling. Now, the whole concept of a prayer journal has been kind of new to me this semester. But through it I am beginning to learn what it means to be praying continually. (1Thess. 5:17). And you know what? I love it. There are so many times I have little prayers that I just ramble off or write down and forget. But then I find myself going back and reading and seeing the fulfillment of that prayer. It has helped me to realize that God is intricately involved in EVERY aspect of our lives. And that He is constantly teaching us.

But anyway, back to the story. After finishing a portion I decided to take a stroll along the beach for a while. And as I was walking back- the wind blowing my hair like in a movie and the cool water splashing on my legs- I saw it. One single little pigeon was on my blanket. Now, I grew up around birds, having a dove cage in our backyard, so I thought nothing of it. But then the little thing did something deliberately devious. It waddled/hopped/flew over right on top of my journal and pooped. I was outraged! Ha ha actually no, I laughed. Yet another reason God has a sense of humor. But anyways, as I was washing it off (ew) I quietly joked that maybe God didn't like my prayer that morning. But then it hit me. I have had a poopy prayer life.


Because prayer isn''t just about petition to God. It isn't just about talking to Him. Prayer is a conversation. And when you have a conversation with someone you apply the principle of turn taking. You speak and then you listen. And I realized I am a very bad listener. So many times I've been like "God, I know you will get me through this because you are good, but help me. I'm struggling." or "God, help her/him. Thank you for my friends. Guard their hearts Lord."A lot of whining basically. But then after that I hang up. It's like ordering a cheeseburger and not sticking around for them to ask if you want fries with that. It doesn't work. God doesn't always answer prayer right away. But I think sometimes we miss it when He does because we disconnect too soon.

So why do we cut Him off? Sometimes I think it's because we really don't want His will at all. We pray for God to help us, but to help us in our way. But His ways are not our ways. His will is not our will. And in this scenario God becomes the servant instead of the master. We diminish Him to our will and fail to recognize how majestic He is. And sometimes we cut Him off because He's already told us the answer. God is never changing. He's already told us, but we somehow think He's going to change His mind. And then when we realize He's not, we get out.

But prayer is so much more important than this. It is your lifeline. AND THE WAY IN WHICH YOU PRAY MODELS YOUR INTIMACY WITH THE ONE YOU PRAY TO! If you have a shallow prayer life, than your relationship isn't going to be all that deep either.

Well after realizing this I was feeling pretty down. So, I decided to drown all my sorrows at the Coldstone not too far away, but as I was getting out my money a little card fell out. I remember getting this card sometime in high school, but I just shoved it in my wallet right behind the Target and Starbucks gift cards. So I took a second look. Now hopefully my prayer life will get much more intimate than this acronym in time, but this is a good starting point. Here's what was on the card:

"A.C.T. U.P. Prayer Pathway as modeled from Jesus' prayer in Matthew 6:9-13.

A: Adore God- "Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you." Pslam 63:3

C: Confession- "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

T: Tell God Your Needs- "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6

U: Uplift Others-"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone--" 1 Timothy 2:1

P: Praise God- "Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name." Psalm 100:4"

Act up. Don't be another poopy journal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment