Monday, May 10, 2010

Confessions of a Dieting Bugles Eater...

The other day I was sitting in German watching music videos (because that’s what we do ha ha) when I whipped out and started munching on a bag of Bugles I had just bought at Beach Hut. It had been so long since I had delighted in the cornucopia shaped treat.

Anyway, as I was sitting there bobbing my head to the music and munching away I had a sense of nostalgia. I remember eating Bugles as a kid and putting them on my fingers pretending I was a witch. Don’t judge me I know y’all did it too! Anyway, then a thought occurred to me- what if I did that now? What would people say? Well at first I think they would laugh. Because it would be rather funny and they’d embrace their nostalgia and possibly join me. But if I kept doing it in all seriousness, it wouldn’t be funny anymore. Then, it would just be seen as immature. And I realized something that day; we are the same way in our spiritual lives.

Sometimes you need to just grow up spiritually. We mature in our physical lives. As a nineteen year old girl I no longer eat baby food. I no longer play with barbies or dress up. I can count higher than my fingers and toes combined. And I’m officially potty trained. If you saw me seriously caring around a barbie doll like I was a little girl, you would think there was something wrong with me. But we do this in our spiritual lives all the time. How long have I been a baby Christian? Too long!

But here’s the problem, when we stay baby infants it doesn’t just hurt us. True we don’t grow spiritually and we don’t minister like we ought, but those looking in on us don’t grow either. My pastor back home once said intimacy with God is a caught action, not a taught action. If we want people to spiritually grow (and we should) then we need to model that ourselves.

Hebrews 5:11-14 “We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.”

The transition from milk to meat should be a natural one for most Christians. We should find ourselves wanting to read the Bible more often, to pray more frequently, to reach out in loving community as Christ teaches us. And, as the author of Hebrews intimates, we should naturally begin teaching others who are less spiritually mature rather than constantly needing to be fed ourselves. Now this does not mean everyone should become a Sunday school teacher. If we all did we would have no class to teach. But you don’t even have to use your words. Your actions speak louder. I have talked to non-Christian friends and they have said they can sometimes tell when a person is a Christian just by the way they conduct themselves. You lead by example type of thing.

And maybe you’re not a spiritual baby anymore. Maybe you’re more of a hamburger type of person. But there is still always room for improvement. Because I’m not a steak yet. And sometimes it’s hard to know how to grow. So, when in doubt- google. And that’s what I did. Here’s what I found:

“Five key areas are essential to the development of spiritual maturity:

First, biblical knowledge. No verse better sums up the reason we need to know Scripture than II Timothy 3:16: "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work." Based upon that verse, we find our charge as Christians in II Timothy 2:15: "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word of truth."

Second, godly character. In chapters such as Matthew 5-7, I Corinthians 13, and Romans 12, we find entire dissertations on the nature of a godly life. Yet Galatians 5:22-23 captures the whole: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."

Third, sanctified mind. As we work out our salvation, it touches all parts of us, and the mind is key. Colossians 3:2 states simply, "Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth." And Romans 12:2 exhorts us to "be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."

Fourth, spiritual discernment. In I Thessalonians 5:21-22, we find these closing words: "Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; abstain from every form of evil." And again in Hebrews 5:14, we find spiritual maturity linked to discernment: "But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil."

Fifth, willing obedience. Jesus stated simply in John 14:15, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments."

And here’s another problem with Bugles. They’re junk food. Sure they satisfy for the moment, but then I’m starving again. No nutritional value whatsoever. But why are we still eating Bugles when there is chicken cordon bleu across the table? You get the analogy.

So, whether it be strained peas or McD’s (he he I rhymed) we need to be constantly feeding ourselves and growing. Growing in our witness, growing in our passion, and growing in our intimacy. It’s guaranteed, a relationship with Christ is the best meal you could ever have. A banquet beyond belief. So why are we dieting? Why settle for mashed squash?

0 comments:

Post a Comment