Monday, August 15, 2011

Confessions of a Prodigal Purity Ring...

It's almost shameful to admit this, but I just finished secretly squealing in giddy excitement over a piece of jewelry. You see, I had this purity ring. And combined with the sentimental value of how I got this ring I truly did love it. It fit me so well- style wise that is. Size wise it was a bit loose. The truth is that I should have been smart and put the thing on a chain a long time ago. I wouldn't even make if out of the dorm door and it would have already slipped off my finger. My poor resident assistant must have returned the darn thing to me at least four times. I'm amazed he didn't threaten to superglue it to my finger. It was even kind of a running joke amongst the suite. Anytime anyone said "I found this ring in the hallway" my roommates would all say "It's probably Rachel's." The sad fact: most of the time it was :/.


Well, the day finally came where this beloved ring slipped off my ring finger for the last time. I searched and searched, but to no avail. I mean, seriously, I was crawling up and down the hallway looking for this thing, leaving sticky notes on my friend's doors telling them to keep an eye out. But every time I checked the resident office's lost and found I was only greeted with cell phones, bracelets, and the occasional hair clip. After about a month I gave up hoping that it would just magically show up.


After 5 months, I was sitting at home one day and I decided I wanted another one. But I'm very stubborn. I didn't want to have to pick out a new ring, I just wanted one like I already had. I searched for hours trying to find one I liked, but nothing screamed Rachel like my old one. I tried everything I could to find the old design, but no luck. Well, after another two hours of searching I had resigned to give up and post a depressing "But I don't want a new ring. I just want my old one back," facebook status when low and behold I stumbled upon an ebay ring that looked similiar. In my last attempt I clicked on the manufacturer's link and low and behold next to the picture of the ebay ring was my ring! My ring, fit just for me. As if I had designed it myself. I was so excited that I had searched for so long and finally found it that I gave a squeal of delight.


Well, the next day my assigned quiet time reading was Luke 15: 8-10, the parable of the woman who had ten silver coins and she lost one- a far more costly loss than a $40.00 ring. I sat there thinking, "Nicely played God." I've heard this story before and always thought that it was a bit odd that after she found the coin she called her neighbors and threw a party saying "Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin!" (vs 9) This time I got it. Not that I'm throwing a party over my ring, but it may make a status update.


For the first time I understood the depth of this parable. You see friends to Christ we are the valuable coin (or ring). Something irreplaceable. Something so dear He will do everything in His power to find it. And He never stops seeking because His power is limitless.


The woman does not take a lax attitude towards her lost possession. No. First she lights a lamp, necessarily expending oil, so that she can see clearly. Next, instead of simply glancing here and there, she sweeps her house so that she can reach places that might otherwise be inaccessible to her. Above all, she searches carefully. There is no hint of indifference, only diligence. This coin was valuable; she must find it at all costs. When we are lost sinners, we are not just “out there” somewhere away from God. God longed for us so much that He took the ultimate action; He offered up His Son as a sacrificial lamb. This He did to reconcile us to Himself. He would go through any means- any expense- to save us.


We are all individuals of great importance to the Father. The woman could have been content to possess the remaining nine coins, but she wasn't. Just as Christ desires for ALL to know Him. The story that follows this parable drives the point home even more. The parable of the prodigal son demonstrates the love and forgiveness of the father. Not only was the son lost, but he had royally blown it.


It fills my heart with joy to think of how special we are to Christ. According to my google search there are 2.1 billion other Christians in the world. Before me there were probably a similiar number. But still Christ was not satisfied. He wanted me. He had 2.1 other people and still He wanted me. And He wanted you. And He searched for us until we were found. And those that are lost He still pursues. And that's the most baffling concept. Not only that a Holy, Perfect, and Sanctified God loves us because we are His creation and wants a relationship with us, but that HE pursues US. I have nothing left to do but fall down in gratefulness. Mind. Blown.


"But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’” (Luke 15:32)


0 comments:

Post a Comment