Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Confessions of a Delayed Thanksgiving...

I am blessed with great friends, great family, and hilarious moments. I swear sometimes I should make a video diary of my life, compile it into film, and title it "Yes. That. Really. Just. Happened." I mean I've never really been unhappy with my life, but I'm realizing now it's in the little things. The little gestures that just make you laugh when you look back and remember them. You just can't help but smile. It's truly beautiful.


So my friends, I'm making a motion that every day should be Thanksgiving. And I'm not just talking about unlimited pumpkin pie. Because even when life isn't so beautiful, there is still a reason to smile. Someone wise once said, "A day without laughter is a day wasted" and I completely agree. So, the question remains, how do we find joy when there is nothing but sadness and devastation around? I mean, after all it's a command. 1 Thessalonians 5:18, "Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."


In Christ Jesus. That's the key. Because no matter what happens, no matter what goes wrong or who abandons you, His grace and love never will. You will never fall out of His hands. So respond to it.


It's such a simple truth, yet it's amazing how much more of an optimist it can make you. Knowing that every day you wake up and can breathe and have life, you are unbelievably blessed.


If anyone had a reason to have a negative attitude, it was the apostle Paul. I mean think about it, the guy had been in prison, beaten, scourged, beaten with rods, stoned, shipwrecked, and poor. But through all this, he remained positive. Why? Paul had "learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need" (Phil. 4:12). "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me," (Phil. 4:13).


Paul's attitude was, "God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God" (Rom. 8:28). Paul knew that God used everything in his life for good, even when suffering greatly for the cause of Christ.


And that is something to be thankful for. The hope that even in the crappiest of situations, no matter what you've done, God is still God. And that God is one pretty awesome guy.


The greatest blessing you can ever give and receive is life. Even Jesus said "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13) He gave His for us. To save us so we could live.


Through grace and love and mercy we have life. And what an amazing life it is. Full of innumerable blessings worthy of the highest praise. All you have to do is start looking. And once you do, you are truly thankful.


"I Love this crazy tragic, sometimes, almost magic. Awful beautiful life."

0 comments:

Post a Comment