Friday, October 8, 2010

Confessions of a Non-Coincidence...

Here's something that I've really learned this week. God has quite a way of getting His point across. Something that I've been struggling with lately is ministering to my roommmates. And it basically breaks down to the fact that I still care so much about what the world thinks of me. But I don't know why I'm so afraid. My roommate is one of the sweetest people alive. And she's Catholic, so it's not like she's going to start yelling at me, call me and idiot, and tell me that God doesn't exist. And even if she did mock me, what's the big deal?


When i was reading in John this week I came across this verse: John 15:18-21, ""If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.'If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me." How convicting and shaming is that? Especially verse 19. It almost makes me want to be like, "Alright. Let's be hated. I'm okay with that." It's a call to be transformed.


Well, after discussing this with one of my Bible study leader's she brought up a good point. If you approach it as, "This is what I believe" than there's really nothing they can do about it. She also pointed out that I had to do this. It was an act of obedience. I had never thought of it that way before. By not ministering, I was acting in disobedience. And here I am trying to live for God!


Well, after the discussion with her I went to my Bible study later that night. The topic? Ministering to your roommate. I thought "how appropriate." But wait, there's more. This past weekend when i went to church the sermon was on ministering to the lost. I sat there in the car completely in awe of how pointed this was. Then yesterday, I came back to facebook only to find a video with someone interviewing CSULB students asking, "Who is Jesus?" Their answers broke my heart. Okay God, I can take a hint. These random occurrences are NOT in no way, shape, or form, coincidence.


Therefore, it is demanded that I obey. Christ said, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments" (John 14:15). It's as simple as that. And one of those commandments is love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength, and mind. Obedience is an action to show you love someone. it's as simple as that. I cannot 100% love God if I don't obey Him. I cannot obey Him if I don't do what He commands. And He has commanded, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:19-20)


Lord, give me the courage to be a light in such a dark world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment