Monday, July 12, 2010

Confessions of an Adrenaline Junkie...

One thing that has become severely apparent lately? I have serious thrill issues. If there's no adrenaline rush, it's not worth the adventure. Recently I started a bucket list. Don't ask me why because I don't really know. But if you were to look at my list, you would realize that I have a problem. But one thought that has occurred to me lately is that sometimes we are adrenaline junkies when it comes to worship. We get so focused on being entertained, that we loose sight of the true purpose of worship.

While down in Long Beach, I go to Rockharbor. And there are two reasons I love it. First, I love the sermons. Enough said. Second, the worship is hands down amazing. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that base! Whoo. And while upbeat, amazing worship does help with the whole experience, it shouldn't be the experience.

Because here's the thing. When I go back home, its to a much smaller, older church. And while they try to give the music a good beat, it's never going to be a rock concert. And this used to really bug me. I used to feel like I couldn't get into because of that.

But God has been breaking my heart lately on this issue. It's like He's been saying, "Rachel. Worship is worship. And worship was never about you. It is not an entertainment factor for you. It's my praise. But I don't want to hear them, if they're not heartfelt. You love music Rachel. And that's how I speak to you sometimes. But I'm there just as much in the hymns as I am in the Hillsong."

And being reminded of this has changed my entire focus. It's no longer the beat that drives my praise, but the lyrics. For whatever reason today I was looking in the piano bench and I found an old hymnal. Instantly my mind said "boring." But when I decided to look through it anyway, the second song I came across was "How Great Thou Art." I have sung this song in church probably a thousand times, no joke. But today I really looked at the words. And you know what. Those words are some pretty powerful things. "And when I think that God, His Son not sparing. Sent Him to die. I scarce can take it in... Then I shall bow. In humble adoration. And there proclaim, 'My God how great Thou art!'" and "Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in his wonderful face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of his glory and grace." And that was the moment ladies and gentlemen, when the awe factor kicked in.

Once you get your focus right, it's a whole lot easier to praise. Because if it's all about the concert or the entertainment to you, why worship at all? God doesn't live off of our praise. He doesn't need it, He just deserves it. Acts 17:24-25, "God who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. Nor is He worshiped with men's hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives life, breath, and all things." And you know, I tend to think if all you're going to do is complain about the worship, than just don't worship. The rocks and the trees cry out to the living God. If you're not going to do your job, they will.

Our worship to God should be a very humble and reverent action. And it must include your entire heart. And must be done in truth. "(John 4:23-24). Worship should cause us to reflect on the majesty and graciousness of God and Christ, contrasted to our own unworthiness. Worship helps us develop a God-like and Christ-like character. We become like those we admire and worship. And worship is a heck of a lot more than singing.

I honestly used to be kind of weirded out by people that even raised their hands, cried, or got down on their knees in church. Sometimes I thought they were just phony. But now, as I just beginning to comprehend that I will never comprehend the full majesty and holiness of God because it is too great, I find myself envying them. Because those kind of people, can make worship out of anything. And that is the heart of a true worshiper. It's like my favorite Todd Agnew song says, "All I can offer is this fragile breath. And with each one I'll praise you. With each one I'll praise you more." It's called "This Fragile Breath" LISTEN TO IT! It's such a powerful song!

So my fellow adrenaline junkies, save the thrill for the sky diving, bungee jumping, roller-coaster riding, hiking, hang-gliding, river-rafting, race car driving, world. Let those get your heart pumping and be the entertainment factor. Because the life of one who truly worships is the life of one who puts God first. The life of one who shouts His praises because they can't contain to merely say them. Who screams not out of excitement and fear, but out of sheer joy. The life of a Christian who truly worships, is a whole new kind of thrill. And it is much better than anything the world can offer. So give God your true worship. He deserves nothing less, and so much more than what we can possibly ever offer. Psalm 29:2, "Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; worship the LORD in the splendor of His holiness."

"Come, Thou Fount of every blessing. Tune my heart to sing Thy grace; Streams of mercy, never ceasing, call for songs of loudest praise."

0 comments:

Post a Comment